Thursday, October 13, 2011

Smokey's Story

One of our recent success stories is Smokey. This HANDSOME boy had some hard times before he came to us at Camp Bobe.



If we didn't know better we would swear that Smokey was a bird. More specifically a Phoenix. You see Smokey's home burned down and he was thought dead. He was the next day under the rubble by his family. He survived but his family could not afford to continue to care for him after the devastating fire so they left his to roam. After roaming around for about a month he was taken into a local shelter where he developed a big fan based. (Yes, Smokey has his very own groupies!)

Since the shelter was a kill shelter his new friends worked hard and brought him to the attention of Camp Bobe. With the assistance of Furever Friends of the South, Smokey made his way to the Good Life in Nebraska. He was fostered by the Engle Family of Northeastern Nebraska.




His new home was only suppose to be a foster but when the Engles, who lost their St. Bernard Chewy 2 months ago, it was love at first sight. He was a spirited boy with a wiggly butt and kisses to give.

I (Heather) kinda knew that this was not just a foster situation when I got a text from them when they were still making the two hour drive back home.

"Almost Home. He is sound asleep in my lap"



A little over an hour and a half later I got another text:

"The cat and Smokey already kissed and get along. Cat just watches him. He is so cute. He ate and drank. Makin himself at home next to me on couch. I am pretty sure this his new forever home "


It was sent with a picture.


After getting the picture and the note I emailed her back asking it she wanted me to take Smokey of our adoption page. She emailed back saying:

"I am pretty sure he has his home. Already in bed sleepin with my husband. Pretty sure done deal."


The weekend passes and I focus my attention on getting our other intakes from that weekend settled into their foster homes and also check in on Piper. (Who by the way was playing ball this past weekend.)

Monday I get another message with a picture.

"This is where Smokey likes to sleep with his blanket.But some part of him has to be touching us for him to fall asleep. We are falling in love quickly."




Bright and early Tuesday morning I get the text I had been expecting for a while:

"It is official! We can't let Smokey go. We want to adopt him. We love him too much. He is wonderful. I will be foster parents if u need us to do so as well. we love him and he has touched us so much!"

This is why I feel so lucky to get to do what I do. God has blessed me with the ability to connect people and animals and I get to see the most wonderful outcome in the world...LOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment